Thursday, January 12, 2006

Disappointment

I got some disappointing news yesterday about grad school. Basically, my hopes of starting in the fall of 2006 have been dashed. Despite having two undergraduate degrees, good marks, AND having three years of work experience in the field that I want to study, I am being told that I have to complete some supplemental classes before I will be admitted.

I wouldn't be frustrated by this if I believed that the supplemental courses would be worthwhile and would make me a better candidate for grad school but I just don't believe that they will. I think they will be a waste of time and money and only further the time it is going to take for me to complete my studies. I am most frustrated by learning that the University puts no weight on my work experience when the program is designed for people who are WORKING. Anyone who has left the sterility of academia knows that there are limitations to the theoretical and that actual applied experience is priceless. But, what do I know? Apparently, without an undergraduate degree from the University of Alberta in Criminology, I know nothing.

I'm trying not to take this setback too hard because not going to grad school means having a lot more time and money to do other things. Things that are way more fun than grad school would ever be! And, this is only a temporary setback. I'm determined to make this happen at some point!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*internet hug*
i am sorry to hear of this setback leah, but in no way will this stop you, i know that about you.
so ....haul out the cliche: 'everything happens for a reason'...
enjoy your time between now and then, knowing that you will be working, in a job you enjoy, gaining experience that IS/will be helpful in the end. you'll have all kinds of fun getting into trouble in the mean time! : )

1/12/2006 4:31 p.m.  
Blogger Derelict said...

That's too bad Leah. I imagine University is like anything else, if you'd known the right prof you probably could have gotten in right away.

Hope to see you at ?uestlove tonight! I'll buy you a drink (you might need to remind me, depending on my level of intoxification)!

1/12/2006 10:03 p.m.  
Blogger Darth! said...

I had a friend of mine over last night and he is currently articling as a law student. So he has gotten his first degree with a GPA of 3.5+, interviewed and been accepted into Law School, worked his ass off for 3 years, taking on more debt and losing more hair, and has lately been pulling 60-70 hour weeks as articling students usually get the shit work. He says if he works out the per hour average of his pay, it amounts to a shade under $8 per hour.

Then he tells me he has to take some bar admission course, which is 6 months long, evenings and weekends. If he passes all of his assignments (one a week) which few people do the first time around, he will then, finally, be called to the bar and made an official lawyer.

When is enough enough? I mean, the guy has proven himself for the last 7 or 8 years to be committed to academic excellence, so what is another 6 month course going to do for him?

Bah/

1/12/2006 10:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home