Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Insomnia-Driven Entry

I have been out of University for about six years now (!) and I forget how frustrating the University bureacracy can be. I have decided that I want to go back next year to start my Masters degree in Criminal Justice and my application has to be in by February (February 15th to be exact!).

Back in September, I began the process of trying to speak to the graduate studies advisor. I'm coming from a somewhat untraditional background and want to make sure that I have all of the pre-requisites before I apply. This has proved to be fruitless thus far. I've sent numerous emails and have made several phone calls but for some reason she doesn't want to speak to me : (

I am hoping that this is not foreshadowing the results of my application. I also need three academic letters of reference but don't even know how to go about that since I haven't been in touch with ANY of my professors for more than six years! Aghhhhhhhhh! Do I ask one of the professors who gave me an A, even though I know he/she won't remember me? Do I contact the Economics professor who propositioned me in my third year? Do I get a reference from my honours Operations Management field study class that has absolutely no relevance to a Sociology degree? These are questions I would ask the Sociology graduate studies advisor if she would ever call me back!

Note: If any of you reading this have any tips/advice for getting into grad school, please send them to me ASAP! Or, if by some weird coincidence you know the graduate studies advisor for Sociology at the University of Alberta, could you please tell her to phone me?

Anyways, aside from having intermittent anxiety attacks about grad school, things have been going pretty well. I am in Vancouver for the remainder of this week for work and then I am off on holidays until January 3rd! That makes me so happy, I can't even adequately express my joy!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

leah i will miss you this thursday! we've managed TWO in a row! i hope all of this sorts out for you. truthfully, even in relation to *my* job the academics are hard people to get ahold of this time of year what with marking, break in semester and getting away for the short time that they can...stay positive. is this woman *truly* your only possible contact?
anyhow, i'll have a bailey's and think of you. *wink*
see you when you get back!

12/21/2005 3:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and derelict...even as a lurker this no etown business is the shits! what am i supposed to do for brain-melting breaks? geez.

12/21/2005 3:12 p.m.  
Blogger michelle. said...

hi leah, i came across your blog by being friends with matthew and seeing your adorable cat on myspace...

...weird...??

anyways, i've recently had to deal with the lovely university of late and have realised the following: no one cares unless they see you face to face. my advice: stalking works best. i know that is often the WORST advice but it's the university, an obviously parallel universe...

12/21/2005 3:59 p.m.  
Blogger Derelict said...

Leah: Don't worry! Even though, I guess that doesn't really help your situation. I like Michelle's suggestion, though. Be persistent.

Miss K: I play games on this site, which may not really be your thing. Or I browse my friends' blogs.

12/21/2005 9:50 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bureaucracy by its nature is lethargic and indifferent.
Do not let ur anxiety impede ur progress.
Do not approach an econ prof who
propositioned u.
Operations Management is OK as reference.Most arent read anyway.
As for prof's that u havent seen for 6 yrs-dont be so sure they dont remember u.Visit him/her during ofice hours with ur predicament.
As miss k said stay positive.AND
stay focused.
Enuff sais for now.

12/22/2005 7:03 a.m.  
Blogger michelle. said...

leah from the internet,

i think our real life paths have indeed crossed. i think that perhaps eli introduced us once at the sugarbowl...but truthfully, i can't remember...does that make me a terrible person?

thank you for the kind holiday greeting. i wish you a holiday filled with laughter and in the company of those you care about.

12/22/2005 12:49 p.m.  
Blogger Darth! said...

Leah

I founf your site (and have linked to it from mine) via interweb wanderings.

Anyway, trying talking to Janis Shaw at the University of Alberta's Career and Placement Services.

Best of luck

12/23/2005 10:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home