Sunday, August 07, 2005

Recap

This weekend was filled with lots of happy moments that totally restored my spirit : ) My ears, mind, and heart are filled with the wonderful music that I heard at the Folk Festival. I discovered some new artists who are definitely going to be on steady rotation in my stereo and I had the opportunity to see some artists that I've always wanted to see live. As well, I caught up with a good friend and had a stellar date! Not bad for one weekend.

Some artists that you've probably never heard of, but should check out:

Alexi Murdoch (United Kingdom) - a gifted singer/songwriter with a voice like Nick Drake. He stood up on the stage and sounded like he was laying out his heart for all of us to bear witness to.
Amos Lee (United States) - his sound is a mix of soulful funk and blues. He's been described as a cross between James Taylor, Bill Withers and Otis Redding, but I believe he has a sound all of his own. I bought his cd and haven't been able to turn it off yet.
The Johnny Clegg Band (South Africa)- I'm not even sure how to describe this music. It was toe-tapping, body shaking, and smile inducing though : ) A mix of traditional South African music with hip hop, rock, and other musical genres.
Fiamma Funama (Italy) - I didn't get a chance to see this band, but every single person that I talked to who did, raved on and on about them. Apparently, the music is a mix of traditional Italian music with electronica. I saw their cd listed each song with the beats per minute beside it (and it definitely looks like fun, danceable music.)

And, finally, for those of you following the emerging romance with A. - we had our first kiss this weekend and it was everything I hoped it would be (with butterflies in my stomach and all.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home