Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A Fitful August Eve

Last night, as I was crawling into my freshly laundered sheets that were tucked in tight perfection, I noticed that something was amiss. Reese was nowhere to be seen. She usually retires to my room with me late at night and takes up residence at the foot of my bed. All of a sudden, a wave of panic went through me. What if she was curled up at the end of Daniel's bed? It was a weird moment. I had to remind myself that I was feeling jealous of where my cat's affections resided. About a half hour later, she lept up onto the bed and came right over to me purring and nudging her head against my cheek. It was like she knew that I needed reassurance that she still favoured me. I'm embarrassed to admit that I felt possesive of my cat, but I did. Someone sound the crazy cat person alarm, please : )

Even with Reese happily purring in my room, I was unable to fall asleep easily. My mind was racing madly and all I could do was let it roll and tumble along until it naturally settled down. When restless nights come along, there is usually a reason, and instead of distracting myself by subduing the feeling, I'm more content to just let it run its course. I've learned that the smoky haze of intoxification distorts and distracts but it doesn't make anything disappear. The Magnetic Field's "Asleep and Dreaming" played in harmony with the fan that was ineffectually cooling the room.

I've seen you laugh at nothing at all.
I've seen you sadly weeping.
The sweetest thing I ever saw was you asleep and dreaming.
I've seen you when your ship came in and when your train was leaving.
The sweetest thing I ever saw was you asleep and dreaming.
Well, you may not be beautiful, but it's not for me to judge.
I don't know if you're beautiful because I love you too much.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cats have an uncanny ability to know when they're needed.
dont worry about reese, she knows whats up.

8/03/2005 2:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home