Sunday, June 04, 2006

Rejection Can Be Good (Sometimes)

I didn't get the job that I posted about here. I was told, however, that I was ranked 6th out of the 22 who were shortlisted out of the hundred(?) or couple hundred(?) who originally applied. I'm pretty happy with that. Getting offered that job would have added a whole new layer of complexity to an already complicated life. Now that I know I haven't gotten it, I can cross that option off the list and consider everything else.

To escape from thinking too much, I bought Nick Hornby's new book A Long Way Down. It's the story of four people who decide independently to commit suicide on New Year's Eve from a popular suicide spot and whose plans get derailed when they arrive on the roof and find the others up there with the exact same idea. So far it's highly readable and filled with wry humour.

Here's an excerpt:

He wasn't Ringo, though. He was more like Paul. Maureen was Ringo, except she wasn't very funny. I was George, except I wasn't shy or spiritual. Martin was John, except he wasn't talented or cool. Thinking about it, maybe we were more like another group with four people in it.

2 Comments:

Blogger cakeandcandy said...

Hey Leah,

Bummer about the job, but way to go on kicking so much ass! I am taking up your offer to drink wine! Let's pick a date!
-Zoe

6/04/2006 3:29 p.m.  
Blogger Eli said...

this is what I was talking about:

http://www.bookreporter.com/art/covers/140w/0306810662.jpg">

6/05/2006 6:55 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home