Wednesday, April 19, 2006

This and That

The last week has been hectic but fun. This past weekend Eli and I went to Calgary (again) for a whirlwind in and out. Eli was working the Minus the Bear show and I decided to tag along to keep him company. We drove to Calgary on Sunday afternoon, spent the evening at the show and turned around to come back at around 1am. We drove on the virtually empty highway with some of my favourite songs playing in the background and Eli's cousin fast asleep in the backseat. We talked with a backdrop of black sky and shimmering stars. I love late-night conversations where tiredness seems to break down the barriers that exist in the daylight.

Last night I went to see Taj Mahal and Ruthie Foster who were playing at the Jubilee Auditorium. It was a fantastic show. Ruthie Foster said something that stuck in my head. She said, "You have to remember to pray, even when times are good. That's called being grateful." I like that sentiment because even though I don't pray in any sort of traditional way, I think being grateful is important. The music last night stirred me and had me bopping around in my seat. It was rich, beautiful, soulful music that seemed to grab me by my shoulders and demand my attention. Taj Mahal said "So much of the blues is 'I-have-four-kids-at-home-and-none-of-them-look-like-me' or 'I've-got-a-sweet-woman-but-she's-going-to-be-untrue' and I decided that I wanted to sing blues in a different way." So, what was neat was that many of his songs, while still following blues patterns, were funny/uplifting/happy songs. It was evident how much he loves music. I'm not sure how old he is (I think fairly old) but he was still dancing and singing his heart out and totally going all out. He's a blues legend and I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to see him live.

I am dog-sitting right now for Kim and Royce's baby, Sensi. She is such an adorable dog. She's huge but super friendly and completely loveable. She has these big, expressive eyes that seem like they are trying to convey some sort of message. That message is probably "I'm cute, give me treats" and I must admit it is totally working. I can't resist those eyes pleading at me!

Today has been a great day so far. I came into work and my boss asked to see me in his office to have my performance review done. I wasn't really worried but I wasn't exactly sure what he'd have to say. In my experience, performance reviews don't generally hold much meaning - the boss writes that you have done your work satisfactorily and that's about it. This one, however, was completely different. My boss wrote a 2-page attachment in which he glowed about me. It is the nicest review I have ever received in my entire career. It is nice to be so appreciated and well thought of. I think sometimes I take for granted all the positive things that are associated with my job but I really am grateful to work in such a great environment.

Oh, and for those of you in Toronto (hi Keith!), you MUST, MUST, MUST go to this event: On May 13 at 4pm, Leonard Cohen is doing an in-store appearance at the Indigo on Bay and Bloor. I would absolutely *love* to be there so I hope you will go on my behalf and take pictures (and get a book signed for me?!)

3 Comments:

Blogger frenchy said...

i'm so glad to hear that things are going well!

i think being grateful is super important too. it's something i'm really trying to work on, it's all part of my "be more posi" thing. i try to write at least 3 things i'm grateful for every day in my journal. it's kinda cheezy sounding but it makes a huge difference for me. cuz i've always been pretty pessimistic, and i also have issues with depression and just this little thing makes the rough stuff seem a little less bad, or at least it balances it out. anyway, i'm babbling but yeah, yay for being grateful!

(and i'm gonna email you soon i swear.) xo.

4/19/2006 10:00 p.m.  
Blogger Derelict said...

I've always wanted to check out Taj Mahal. Before getting into electronic music and hip-hop, Blues was always my favorite.

4/22/2006 4:45 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

horray for CBT!!!
horry for late night conversations.
They are the things of love.
you are a beautiful woman.
lovekeith

4/24/2006 5:11 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home