Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Then and Now

2:30am - Saturday Night:

I am wide awake. Coffee at 10pm is most likely the culprit. Tonight I went to the Ben Lee/Sam Roberts show at the Starlite Room. I am very grateful to be able to go to so many concerts. I've never seen as much live music before and it's wonderful. Tonight's concert was good, better than I expected. It was absolutely packed with people wall to wall and I couldn't helpt help but feel slightly claustrophobic. Being five feet tall inherently means that everyone around me is taller and that can be a little overwhelming in crowds. I was so relieved when Eli took me to the VIP area which was sweltering hot but up and away from the crowds.


Up on the balcony, I was able to look down on the crowd and observe the way individuals behaved. I watched and had the revelation that in a crowd of people like that everyone is trying to look unique/hip/different but really everyone just looks the same. Black t-shirts, tight jeans, and hair that probably took a long, long time to do. I watched the way individuals interacted with one another and thought to myself "yeah, I *know* you". The girl who smiled sweetly whenever Sam Roberts looked in her direction. She was sexily mouthing the words at him but was really saying "I'll go home with you tonight if you just ask me. Ask me...please?" The guys huddled together, clinking beers, and laughing hysterically. Their eyes always scanning the crowd for a pretty girl to woo. The VIP's who were obviously given free tickets and couldn't care less about the band. They came to be seen, to visit with the other VIP's, and to drink. They stood perfectly still, seemingly unaffected by the drum beats or the guitar riffs. It's the same at every show -- the same characters simply played by different people.

3:30pm - Tuesday afternoon:

Nine things of note:

1. I've been trying to bike to work each day (but not today on account of imminent rainshowers).
2. I've stopped smoking any and all substances.
3. The persistent cough that I've had for months has seemingly disappeared (see above).
4. I'm drinking more water than ever before.
5. I'm peeing more than ever before (see above).
6. I have an awesome new roommate moving in on July 1st.
7. Irving Layton is my new poet du jour.
8. I'm entering a Scrabble tournament on June 10/11th.
9. Storm watching under a blanket just might be the perfect way to end an evening.

2 Comments:

Blogger frenchy said...

oh man, yes i so agree with you about the people at shows. it drives me crazy. they really do all look the same. hipsters are kinda boring that way. haha.

but anyway, a scrabble tournament!! that's so rad. good luck. also, yay for healthy new habits. glad to hear you're doing well. xo.

5/27/2006 6:39 p.m.  
Blogger Penguin said...

It makes me happy to know that your pee is not deep yellow. I'm proud of you Leah. Mine has been a bit flourescent lately due to vitamins.

5/29/2006 12:07 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home