Tuesday, February 07, 2006

How to Speak Poetry

My silence isn't because I have nothing to say. I have too much to say and every attempt at writing ends up sounded clumsy and awkward and doesn't express what it is that I'm feeling. I have started countless entries only to end up deleting them. Why am I so critical of my writing all of a sudden? The inner dialogue in my head sounds so eloquent with its poetic rhythms and perfect grammar. I wish you could climb inside and hear/feel/experience what I do as I move through the world. Would I feel naked in revelation? Would I finally be able to look directly in your eyes without shyly looking away?

I went on my first road trip of the year this past weekend. The sun was shining brightly and I couldn't help but think it was foreshadowing the weekend ahead. Coffee in our cupholders, music playing, and the two of us with looks of contentment on our faces. In Canmore, we met up with one of my best friends and her fiancée. We spent the evening chatting over wine. The next morning we opted for a walk along the river instead of skiing. I took deep breaths of the fresh air and reveled in the crunch of snow under my feet. I was humbled by the mountains that surrounded us. I want to return in the summer and see how different it all looks when the ice melts.

Sunday night I went and heard one of my favourite bands, Stars, play at the Dinwoodie. I couldn't see a thing but I still had a really good time. Why don't they make stages a little higher so short people can still see the performers? Anyways, even without seeing any of the band, I was drenched in the lush sounds and fell in love with their music all over again. It seemed so appropriate to have a band named Stars end a stellar weekend.

Bathed in happiness, I try not to hold my breath.

You cannot tell the audience everything you know about love in every line of love you speak. Step aside and they will know what you know because you know it already. You have nothing to teach them. You are not more beautiful than they are. You are not wiser. Do not shout at them.

- From "How to Speak Poetry" by Leonard Cohen

8 Comments:

Blogger Eli said...

I tried to give your post 2 whole beedogs, but i failed.

:(

2/07/2006 6:19 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

leah, i wait - impatiently - for you to update your blog. you know i am your biggest fan but i feel i should again expand on this. the person that you have become, the person that you are, the *real* leah...that is reflected in your writing. it is smart, insightful, eloquent, simple yet detailed, brief yet tells the reader so much more. don't ever feel like you can't just write *i feel like this and/or i like this song and/or that is all* on your blog. your readers/friends will still appreciate the entry and at the same time, you've allowed yourself a pressure-free blog entry. i use your blog as a way to connect with you and in turn i try and send you vibes ...you know - via the interweb. : )

2/08/2006 11:06 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

btw you two, what is WITH the beedogs? something cute and dog-related and somehow *I* am NOT in the loop? swooner-over-dogs-me?

i'm hunting this down today.

2/08/2006 11:08 a.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

kim: check out www.beedogs.com - you'll understand immediately.

and yes, i see what you mean about just writing and taking the pressure off. i like how the internet keeps us in closer touch too. when are YOU going to start a blog? ;)

2/08/2006 11:49 a.m.  
Blogger Eli said...

yeah Kim, WHEN?!

2/08/2006 12:02 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the pressure you guys...sheesh. i'm trying to take baby steps here...myspace, blog? eventually?
ok, so beedogs is fun. i'm still on the www.cuteoverload.com though. it seriously can't be beat. it's not just cute pictures, but some of the captions slay me. mind you, it's www.gofugyourself.typepad.com or anything, but it's in my top 5 - and that's just a different kind of haha anyhow.

2/08/2006 1:40 p.m.  
Blogger michelle. said...

*puke*

oops. sorry. love makes me VOMIT all over the keyboard.

i think you should blog EXCLUSIVELY about crack, bad sex and bananas.

sound good?

just kidding!

i love your blog leah and i think you should write how you feel and don't worry if people think it's sappy or whatever... shout your happiness (with all it's grammatical and awkward imperfections) from whatever rooftop you find yourself upon and fuck anyone who begrudges you that right!

2/09/2006 3:58 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"everything i say - sounds clumsy and dumb..."
American Music Club

I so know how you feel babe.

That said, your eloquence and soft shining perfectness seeps through your blog like seawater through sand...

Can't wait to see you again.
Keep blogging, i feel like i am getting to know you across the miles.
Lovekeet
Ps. Beedogs kills ME!! i love the innernet.

2/12/2006 2:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home