Monday, January 30, 2006

I don't care if Monday's black

Another weekend came and went. This one was fairly low key but I think I needed that. I spent Friday and Sunday evening on my own and read, listened to music, folded some origami, lauded affection on my cat, and was just quiet in my own space. I'm a fairly extroverted person but I still savour time spent alone. In the company of others I find it difficult to reflect because I'm too caught up in the present. Yet, without reflection, I tend to feel lost and disconnected from my feelings.

On Friday, I came home from work feeling disheartened and upset. A long, stressful work week in combination with a small conflict with a good friend left me extra sensitive. I met up with E. after work and with very little provocation, ended up in tears. Mostly, I felt overwhelmed and just needed to vent my frustration and anxiety. He listened and offered some good advice while I simultaneously felt better (for having talked about what was bothering me) and worse (because I immediately worried that I wasn't very much fun to be around). Of course, I don't expect anyone around me to be happy all the time but I have pervasive thoughts that people expect that of me.

A couple weeks ago, my stepbrother sent me a copy of The Alchemist and I finally finished it last night. It was my second time reading it and it was okay, but not as good as I remembered it being. I think that's partly because I began to recall how it ended partway through so it lost the suspense that it had on its first reading. I won't say any more than that because it's the kind of book that is best read without much preamble. If you haven't read it, check it, and let me know what you think.

When each day is the same as the next, it's because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.
- from The Alchemist

6 Comments:

Blogger Eli said...


Dressed up to the eyes
It's a wonderful surprise
To see your shoes and your spirits rise
Throwing out your frown
And just smiling at the sound
And as sleek as a shriek
Spinning round and round
Always take a big bite
It's such a gorgeous sight
To see you eat in the middle of the night
You can never get enough
Enough of this stuff

1/30/2006 3:18 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh little robert - please tell me you both still love the cure as much as i do. mr r will not listen to the cure. but i adore them. seriously...those were the days...good/bad. a boyfriend of mine in high school gave me halves of a broken skate deck, with artful cure lyrics written all over it, just jam packed. i wish i still had it. it got lost in my move home from calgary. :(

1/30/2006 5:18 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

eli has apparently seen the cure! should we hate him for that?

1/31/2006 1:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you have to ASK? um YEAH!?

"hi, i'm eli, i've seen the cure, i'm cooler than you because you haven't seen the cure and i have...lalala....".

yes, we will have to hate him. it's unfortunate-i know.

2/01/2006 12:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you and your blog are awesome.
i will be in etown shockingly soon.
i hope to meet you for a glass.

2/02/2006 7:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i suppose i should have left my name.
it's keith. (the slut)

2/02/2006 7:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home