Tuesday, January 24, 2006

If These Walls Could Talk

Sometimes I wonder what observers would think if they were watching my life on a tiny camera unbeknownst to me. Tonight they would have seen me come home from work and meet up with my boyfriend who brought over groceries for dinner and a surprise gift for no occasion (the best kind of gift). The observers would notice us don our workout clothes, disappear for 45 minutes and return with redder faces and glistening skin. The camera would pan to us cooking dinner together, each of us completing our own separate tasks but somehow finishing our dishes at the same time and bringing them to the table. A close-up shot of us talking while we ate the meal we'd just made. The conversation fluxes from light-hearted to serious and back again. Each of us talking in earnest about things that are important to us. We clean up quickly so that we can watch the election results come in. The camera watches as I lie in his arms and catches the subtle, affectionate gestures of my hand running across his leg or his hand brushing against my arm. Fast forward to a little later in the evening. We are lying on my bed with our eyes lined up and our mouths in close proximity. We are taking turns asking and answering questions. There is a gentle happiness between us; I wonder if the camera could pick up on it. It's a snapshot of an ordinary evening but it is anything but ordinary to me. It is perfect, absolutely perfect.

i was waiting for a cross-town train in the
london underground when it struck me
that i've been waiting since birth to find a
love that would look and sound like a movie
- the postal service

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that song.

1/25/2006 12:09 a.m.  
Blogger michelle. said...

man...ben gibbard writes songs for everyone.

i'm so glad you're so happy with this new boy. you both deserve it!

m.

1/25/2006 12:12 a.m.  
Blogger michelle. said...

oops...i meant *ben gibbard writes songs for everything...every situation*

i wish there was an editing fuction on this comment thing...

1/25/2006 12:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home