Thursday, July 21, 2005

Busy Busy Busy

Tonight was a busy but excellent night! I went from work to the Running Room to meet Heather and participate in the 20-Minute Challenge. This is a yearly event where they give participants a free hat and have as many people as possible go out and run for at least 20 minutes. There were hundreds of people who were all wearing orange hats (given out tonight) running around across the high level bridge. It was quite the sight!

Then, I hurried to pick up Dayna (my roommate from my Vipassana retreat) and we went to a group meditation that was held tonight. The instructors from our retreat live in Edmonton and hold a weekly sit at their home so we decided to go and see what it was like. It was a small group of six of us and we sat for an hour and then chatted afterwards. I really, really enjoyed it. All of the calmness, stillness, and quieting of my mind happened again and it really made me realize how beneficial meditation can be in one's life. I think Dayna and I are going to try to make it a weekly thing.

Afterwards, we decided to go for tea at Steeps. Although she and I have only known each other for a very short amount of time, we seem to have really connected. After spending two weeks sharing a room but not being able to speak to each other we both felt an instant bond. As I've gotten to know her better it's strange to see how much we have in common. Her mother had cancer and passed away when she was a teenager just as mine did. She works in the same building that I used to work in when I worked at the government. We live about five minutes away from each other. And, some other interesting connections. We also seem to have very similar senses of humour and often end up just giggling about silly things. She feels like an old friend, which is nice to experience with someone you don't know all that well. She's talking about starting to run with me so I imagine we'll be seeing a fair bit of each other.

I have had the busiest week so far! I am very close to having a laundry crisis (ie. running out of clean underwear and socks) so it's a good thing that I only have to work a 1/2 day tomorrow (we are being given the afternoon off for Klondike Days!) My plan is to come straight home and immerse myself in domesticity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home