Monday, May 16, 2005

Oy Vey!

This weekend, while visiting my dad and stepmom, I realized that I have the most stereotypically Jewish family. My parents have made it no secret that they would love to see me marry a nice, Jewish young man but this weekend they took that desire to a whole new level! On Friday evening I went to see a doctor as I have had an awful cough that has worsened over the last week or so. That night my breathing was wheezy and I found it difficult to catch my breath on a few occasions so my stepmom took me to an emergency care facility because she and my dad were worried about me keeling over.

I was seen by a young doctor who was very affable and happened to have a Jewish sounding last name. Hope, my stepmom, was convinced that he was THE ONE for me and not only that, she was positive that he was flirting with me. Her evidence for his flirting was the fact that he was very thorough, asked me lots of questions, and smiled a lot. Now, I am no expert but I'm pretty positive that he was simply doing his job and was NOT flirting with me! I told Hope this but she was relentless! She phoned all of the Jewish doctors that she knows in Calgary and asked them if they knew of this young doctor (they didn't). She phoned all of her Jewish friends and asked them if they knew him (they didn't). She checked the Jewish phone book to see if he was listed (he wasn't). She went on the internet and searched his name. And, most annoyingly, she continued to suggest ways for me to see him again including just showing up at the clinic again! She did all of this despite my constant protests that I wasn't interested in pursuing a relationship with him, and she did this even after I told her that I am interested in someone in Edmonton.

Does every Jewish parent secretly (or not so secretly) dream that their daughter marries a nice, Jewish doctor? Why is this? I really feel that it is more important to be with someone who treats me well, makes me happy, and who I feel a deep connection with. His religion really doesn't matter all that much to me. My parents know that I am far from religious but they still put a lot of pressure on me to find someone of my faith. It's interesting because one of my stepbrothers married a Jewish girl and is now separated from her. Two Jewish people marrying does not mean that a long, happy marriage is the end result. I understand that but I don't think that they do.

So, yeah, if any of you know any nice, Jewish doctors/lawyers/etc, please don't tell my stepmom that!

1 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

mike: i am knocking on wood over here so that no unplanned pregnancies come your way : )

marc: yes! there is a jewish phone book in calgary. i'm not sure if they have one here. if there is, i'm not in it!

5/17/2005 2:40 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home