Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Completion

I did it! I completed my goal of running a 1/2 marathon : ) On Sunday morning, Jen (my friend from Calgary), Bob (her boyfriend), and I got up at 5:00am to get ready. Bob was running his 3rd marathon, Jen was running her 1st, and I was running my 1st half. We were all nervous but excited. We all jumped into the car and headed downtown.

My race started first so Jen and Bob helped me find my running group and wished me good luck. I made my way down to the start line and was surrounded by thousands of other excited/nervous runners. The atmosphere was electric and the weather was perfect for running (sunny but somewhat cool). Before I had time to really think about anything the race began. For the first mile I stuck with some of the runners that I knew from my running group but I found the pace too slow so decided to venture ahead on my own.

I ran with a huge smile on my face. I felt strong and confident. I took in the unfamilar Vancouver sights, listened to the crowds cheering, felt the comaraderie of the other runners, and tried to keep myself at a nice even pace. The race route took me through Chinatown and Gastown and some other areas of downtown before winding into Stanley Park. As I entered into Stanley Park, a friendly runner came up to me and told me that I had a beautiful smile - it made me realize that I wasn't just running a race, I was truly enjoying myself.

All along the race people yelled words of encouragement which helped tremendously. I was surprised by the vast number of people out cheering on the participants. It was 7am on a Sunday morning, after all! As I ran my way around Stanley Park, I began to feel tired. I passed the 10km marker and wondered how I was going to make it for another 10km. I told myself to just keep running and focused on the beauty of the trees, the ocean, and my breathing. Before I knew it, I was rounding the corner and heading up to Prospect Point. It was a 200ft elevation gain and it was incredibly difficult. Up and up I went until finally I hit the top and was able to cruise down the other side. Running downhill felt so good at that point!

I ran out of Stanley Park and was met by a huge crowd of cheering spectators. The elite athletes from the full marathon were passing us at this point and it was awe-inspiring to see them zoom by. Oh, to run like them! I kept running and finally saw a sign that said that I had hit the last kilometre. That kilometre felt longer than any I had ever run. And then, out of nowhere I saw the finish line approaching and ran as hard as I could. I looked down at my watch and saw that I was going to finish in under 2:30 - yay! My eyes glazed over for a brief moment when my medal was placed around my neck. It was such an extraordinary feeling. 4 months of training had led up to that moment and it all seemed worth it.

Bob expected to finish his marathon in about 4 hours so I went out to the finish line to cheer him on. He passed by looking tired but happy. Then, about a half hour later I watched Jen run by. I was so proud of her! She looked amazingly strong as she ran her last little bit to the finish line. It was wonderful to be able to share my first race experience with such a good friend.

Today I've been feeling the after effects of the race. It hurts (a lot) to go up or down stairs or to move from a seated to standing position. In addition, I have some terrible blisters on my feet that have forced me to wear sandals even though it has been raining. However, the discomfort that I'm feeling hasn't taken away the happiness that I'm feeling from achieving this goal. This has been an amazing experience. I will always remember this trip to Vancouver! I think it will be the first of many 1/2 (and possibly full!) marathons.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Leah!!!!! You should feel so proud of yourself!

5/03/2005 1:10 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS MISS LEAH!!! I know how huge this was for you! What a long way you've come, I can't wait to celebrate and hear all about it! YAY!

5/03/2005 1:40 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home