Friday, May 13, 2005

Friday Ramblings

The other night a friend of mine said that I seemed happier than I have in a long, long time. I'm slightly afraid to even post that because I fear that may send everything off kilter and spiralling downwards. It's true though, finally feel like the heaviness of the last year has been sloughed off and in its place is a flowing, light optimism. I make it sound like this has all happened overnight but in reality I've been working hard over the last few months to address some of the less than stellar aspects of my life.

A number of months ago I began seeing a psychologist. It's strange because despite the fact that I have a psychology degree, and despite the fact that I personally don't feel there is anything wrong with seeking out counselling, AND despite the fact that I would never, ever look down on someone for seeking help, I still feel there is a bit of a stigma associated with doing so. However, that kind of stigma will never go away until people just talk freely about it in the same way that they would about going to see a doctor about a medical problem. I also think that everyone could benefit from counselling, so if this is covered by ones work benefits it almost seems silly to not take advantage of it.

I won't go into the details of my personal counselling experience but I will say that I feel it was worthwhile and helpful. I've gained a great deal of insight about myself and am better able to put things into perspective. I feel much more confident and better adept at dealing with difficult situations. I won't say that it's a cure-all for everything but I certainly feel that I'm in a better place than I was a few months earlier.

This weekend I'm off to Calgary to spend the weekend with my Dad and stepmother. In the past, weekends with them ended up being rather trying but for the last couple of years we have all seemed to get along much better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute! A tall figure appears.... who is it?

http://www.enduringvision.com/archives/guide_to_breakingup2.htm

...

5/15/2005 9:55 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

dear anonymous:

i have no idea who you are but thanks for your contribution. puppets, hey? hmmmmmm...i'll have to try that in future breakups.

5/15/2005 10:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home