Monday, July 24, 2006

Sweethearts on Parade

This weekend Eli and I went to Calgary to kill a few birds with one stone. I still hadn't told my Dad and stepmom about our move to Toronto and decided that telling them in person was better than over the phone. Eli had to work a show in Calgary on Saturday night so the timing was perfect for a little road trip.

We decided that it was better if I sat down with my Dad and stepmom alone and told them the news so that they could be free to say whatever they wanted. I was nervous. I didn't expect them to have a strong negative reaction but my family is, well, unpredictable. I sat down with them and just blurted out, "I have news" and my stepmom responded with "you're engaged?!" I then explained that I was not engaged but was moving away. My dad focused on the logistical details (what are you going to do with your condo? What about a job? Where will you live?) but I was expecting that. Overall, it went pretty well and when Eli came back my Dad congratulated him on his new job and seemed happy for us.

After sharing our big news, we headed to the venue where M. Ward would be playing later in the evening. My roomate, Amy, was opening the show. I sat in on sound check and then joined Eli, Amy and her boyfriend, and Matt and his wife for dinner. Matt was a really nice, down-to-earth guy. It's amazing that he was recently touring with Bruce Springsteen and REM and was now doing a 200 person show in Calgary. His performance was so impressive. His voice is low and soulful and his guitar playing was jaw-dropping. One of my best friends, Jen, and her husband, Bob, joined us at the show which made the evening that much nicer.

Later, when the show was over, Eli and I went to the resevoir by my parent's place and sat on the dock looking out at the water. It was after 1am but the air was still really warm. Eli's skin glowed in the moonlight and I remember thinking that he looked particularly handsome. We walked back hand-in-hand and my heart swelled with happiness.

Oh love is so good
When you're treated like you should be
The sky goes on forever in a symphony of song
- M. Ward


3 Comments:

Blogger Eli said...

imagine the resevoir had palmtrees. that would be amazing.

yr amazing.

awww. puke.

<3!

7/24/2006 5:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwww!

in a good way

7/24/2006 5:20 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad to hear it went relatively well. i really wish i could have come down with all of you but it wasn't in the stars.
sounds like an amazing night. i would have just rudely interrupted any romantic plans anyhow, seeing as i would have likely come 'hans-(ette) solo'. you two and your crazy love affair. i'm so happy for you. dammit.

7/24/2006 6:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home