Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Irreconcilable Differences

A. and I met last night and concluded that we couldn't pursue a relationship together. It was the most amicable end that I've ever experienced. He told me earnestly that Christianity provides the meaning and purpose in his life and that he doesn't ever see that changing. I told him that I was raised believing that Jesus was just a guy, but not the son of God, and that I couldn't ever see that changing. We both looked at each other and realized that our beliefs could never be bridged.
He told me that when we were first set up on the blind date, he assumed that he wouldn't like me so he never really thought religion was something to discuss right off the bat. He believed that there would be other reasons for us to not get together. He said he didn't anticipate liking me as much as he did and then was really taken aback when he started falling for me. He said that it then began to get complicated for him because as he got to know me better he realized that there were some major viewpoints that we differed on. He said that he began to realize that it wasn't going to work in the long-term, but was reluctant to say anything because he was enjoying what was happening between us so much. He said he wanted to believe that we could just fall in love and live happily ever after but knew that wasn't the case.

There was genuine kindness and affection between us throughout the conversation. It was easy, because we both felt the same way about the inevitable end to the relationship and neither of us was trying to convince the other that the story should have a different ending.

So, that's that. My heathen life goes on... ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to hear about the end of the relationship. at least it's not a bitter end. though this is probbaly not much of a comfort :-( what else is left to say but: "I would like to accuse the Church. I accuse the Roman Catholic Church of Québec of ruining my sex life!"

8/24/2005 4:17 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

i'm curious who you are, charles axis. you should send me an email : )

thanks for your thoughts. yeah, it's okay. things work out as they are meant to. that's what i keep telling myself, anyways.

8/24/2005 5:41 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hm, seems like your zen-experiences and the meditation retreat comes in handy now. i really envy you for the sense of calmness that you display. i hope that it will keep protecting you from hurting too much while still allowing you to open yourself to 'the world'.

have a great camping-vacation!

and don't bother: i'm just someone who loves changing from nothing to one. and they say that i'm the worst nuisance on the beach. but that's not true, of course ;-)

8/27/2005 5:03 a.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

well, whoever you are, i appreciate your thoughts : )

8/28/2005 3:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home