Wednesday, July 13, 2005

California Dreamin'?

I am a member of two professional organizations for my specific career and every now and then we get postings from various places across Canada and the U.S. Recently, I was sent a posting for a position in San Diego that looks exceptionally interesting and which I am very much qualified for. I wrote to the HR department and asked if they would consider an applicant from Canada and I was told that they would. They indicated that I would have to obtain top-secret security clearance from the FBI however, which can sometimes be difficult for someone living outside of the States but I've decided to just put in my application and see. I'm not actively looking for a new job but if the right opportunity presented itself I would definitely be willing to make some changes.

I've decided that I want to do my Masters degree in Criminology, but unfortunately, the University of Alberta does not have a very good Criminology program so I'm less inclined to want to pursue it here. There are some excellent programs in Vancouver (Simon Fraser and UBC) that I'm also looking into, but I think I'd like to do it while working as opposed to just going back to school full-time. Part of the reasoning behind wanting to do this is if I completed my Masters while working I would have access to an amazing amount of data which would definitely expediate the whole process.

I won't be holding my breath about California but you never know how things will end up working out...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

San Diego is an exceptional city, except that it's in the United States.

7/13/2005 1:22 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

True, but of all of the states, it's the one that would probably seem the most Canada-like.

7/13/2005 1:49 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home