Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Lost in Dreamland

Those who have compared our life to a dream were right...We sleeping wake, and waking sleep. ~Michel de Montaigne

The last week or so has felt like a strange mix of dreaming and being awake and a lot of confusion between the two. I've had some extremely odd dreams which seemed so real that I'm still sorting through what has actually happened in my life and what was only imagined. I'm sure that this isn't uncommon when you combine exhaustion from illness with an opiate but it was my first experience with such a prolonged altered state. It was definitely interesting but I'm ready to come back to the real world.

Last night was the last instructional night before the Vancouver 1/2 Marathon. It made me feel quite anxious because most of the other people already have 20km runs behind them and the most I've ever completed was 18km and that was a while ago. We are supposed to start "tapering" (running less) but I don't feel ready for that at all. Originally, I was training for a 2hr 15min completion time but I think I'm going to bump myself back to the 2hr 30min group to make sure that I can make it. I figure that if I finish this race slower it will just give me more opportunities to beat my time in later races : )

1 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

thanks for the nice thoughts, mike. it was really good to see you last weekend. we'll have to try to 'bump' into each other more over the summer.

4/22/2005 3:10 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home