Monday, February 27, 2006

The Weight of the World

Friday afternoon I got on a bus enroute to Calgary. As the bus bounced along the highway, I stared out the window and listened to Beck insist that I "let the weight of the world drift away instead". The ground was dusted in sparkling white snow which made the world seem artificially pristine. The scenery passed by (seemingly) in rhythm with the music that I was listening to. I made up stories in my head about the strangers on the bus. I tried to imagine who they were going to see and what they were going to do that weekend. I envied the ones who were going to be reuniting with a lover at the end of their bus ride.

My reason for going to Calgary was to attend the wedding of a good friend. The wedding was lovely and I was thrilled to be a part of it. Weddings are fun because they are occasions where sentimentality isn't just tolerated, it's encouraged! The wedding was smallish but that made it intimate and allowed the guests to get to know each other. I met so many wonderful people over the course of the weekend and I think that says a lot about the couple themselves. I am confident that they are going to have a long and happy life together. Awwww.

In other news, I have finally finished the marathon project that I've been working on for the last number of months at work! Last week the final report was submitted and the final presentation given and it was all received phenomenally well. The project was pretty frustrating because I really cared about the end product and had to fight for things that I felt strongly about. I am proud of myself for speaking up and not being afraid to differ in opinion with my boss. At times I think he wanted to throttle me, but in the end I think he really appreciated having me on the team. We have all been basking in the compliments that have been coming our way from the higher-ups.

Exciting things are on the horizon, including a vacation that begins Thursday night. I can't wait!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why didn't you drive? i guess the roads were bad, weren't they?

kudos on the project completion. i actually saw the report on the new wednesday and thought, "good for you!!!" : )

anyhow...i'm glad the wedding was nice. they can be so stressful for everyone involved. more congrats out to the bride and groom and all involved.

ttys

2/27/2006 5:18 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

I took the bus because a friend who had gone down earlier was able to give me a ride back.

Thanks for the kudos on the project. The cool part of my job is that the big things end up on the news. That's cool that you saw coverage on it!

I'll see you Wednesday, right?

2/27/2006 6:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm there. call me and we'll hash out the details. : )

2/27/2006 10:45 p.m.  
Blogger michelle. said...

thursday? i'm so jealous...

2/28/2006 12:46 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jealous and sweet.
calgary is nice.
so are you.

2/28/2006 5:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home