Monday, September 12, 2005

Characters

Used book stores are dangerous places for me. The musty smell of the books has some sort of chemical, intoxifying effect that renders me interested in everything and I end up spending far too much time and money. Yesterday, I went into Athabasca Books, which is located a stones throw away from a large, two-level Chapters store yet seems to hold its own quite well. There was a mint condition, hardcover copy of Various Positions: A Life of Leonard Cohen that I couldn't pass up. Then, I came across an Anais Nin Reader which is full of excerpts from her wide range of literary works. And then, a beautiful edition of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina sat at the end of a bookshelf and I snatched that up as well. If anyone is looking for me in the next little while, I'll be the girl sitting in the corner with my nose buried in a book.

At one point, standing beside me, was a very attractive guy wearing a lovely grey sweater and funky glasses who was perusing a Henry Miller novel. I would have loved to start up a conversation with him, ask him to go for coffee, etc. but shyness filled my entire being and I couldn't even smile in his direction. Sigh. I feel so out of practice in starting up conversations with strangers. If anyone has any tips to share, I am all ears : )

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

finished the soulsucker yet? :>

9/14/2005 6:05 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

i'm about half-finished. it's tough to get through -- the writing is TERRIBLE! i think he has single-handedly turned me off of pulp science-fiction.

9/14/2005 6:58 p.m.  
Blogger Derelict said...

Gawd damn, hitting on boys is easy. Most guys are pleased if they even get a smile from a pretty girl.

Well, maybe not ... the one time in my life a strange girl (as in a stranger) actively hit on me out of the blue, was on the bus, and I was so shocked, the best I could offer in response was a weak chuckle and a "yeah" under my breath.

9/24/2005 7:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home