Thursday, June 16, 2005

Anticipation

Most mornings I make a stop at Tim Horton's on my way to work and I can't get over the laziness of most people. Every day the drive-thru is filled with vehicles idling as they wait for their turn. This makes no sense as inside there is never a lineup of more than one or two people. I can sort of understand people opting for the drive-thru if it's extremely cold or rainy but when it's a beautiful day, why don't they just get out of their car? It may be the only exercise that some of these people get in a day! GET OUT OF YOUR CARS! BREATHE THE FRESH AIR! SMILE AT A STRANGER : )

So, in a little over a week I will leave for the meditation retreat that I signed up for a number of months ago. I am looking forward to it but I'm also getting a bit nervous. Below is the schedule for a typical day:

4:00 a.m.---------------------Morning wake-up bell
4:30-6:30 a.m.----------------Meditate in the hall or your own room
6:30-8:00 a.m.----------------Breakfast break
8:00-9:00 a.m.----------------Group meditation in the hall
9:00-11:00 a.m.---------------Meditate in the hall or your own room
11:00-12:00 noon--------------Lunch break
12noon-1:00 p.m.--------------Rest and interviews with the teacher
1:00-2:30 p.m.----------------Meditate in the hall or your own room
2:30-3:30 p.m.----------------Group meditation in the hall
3:30-5:00 p.m.----------------Meditate in the hall or your own room
5:00-6:00 p.m.----------------Tea break
6:00-7:00 p.m.----------------Group meditation in the hall
7:00-8:15 p.m.----------------Teacher's Discourse in the hall
8:15-9:00 p.m.----------------Group meditation in the hall
9:00-9:30 p.m.----------------Question time in the hall
9:30 p.m.---------------------Retire to your own room--Lights out

Notice that the schedule calls for waking up at 4am! Luckily, I am already used to doing that because Reese (my cat) is fond of pouncing on my feet at that time. However, that is a lot of meditating! And, I don't think I've ever gone ten days without talking. Actually, come to think of it, I'm not sure I've even gone for one day without talking. It will definitely be an experience. I've been practicing meditating a little bit at home but I don't think I really know what I'm in for. Eeeep! It's interesting because we will be completely cut off from the outside world for the entire time. I won't even be able to use the phone to check in on Reese. Awwwww. I'll definitely write about my experiences when I get back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home