Saturday, April 09, 2005

Music

The last two days have been filled with music. Last night I saw Felix da Housecat
at the Standard. It was a fun show and I danced with a big smile on my face. At the end of the night a friend remarked that it sure looked like I was having fun. The old Leah is coming around : ) Then, tonight after having dinner and drinks with a friend, I've been sitting up listening to some of my favourite albums.

I love Bob Dylan. He is one of my favourite songwriters. Tonight I listened to the whole Planet Waves album from beginning to end and was reminded of its absolute brilliance. It was written just before his breakup with his wife Sara. It is written from the standpoint of someone very much in love but recognizing that there are, perhaps, irreconcilable differences. The overall tone is cheerful and romantic. In fact, he called it Planet Waves because he felt that he was in a good place with the planets aligned. It is in such sharp contrast to his next album, Blood on the Tracks, which is the ultimate breakup album.



This is an excerpt from one of the sweetest love songs on the album ("You angel you"):

You angel you
You're as fine as anything's fine
The way you walk and the way you talk
It sure plays on my mind

You know I can't sleep at night for trying,
Never did feel this way before
I get up at night and walk the floor
If this is love then gimme more
And more and more and more and more

Tomorrow more music at the
GOMP party.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home