Thursday, March 31, 2005

Vipassana

I just found out last week that I have been accepted onto a Vipassana meditation retreat in late June/early July. From the Alberta Vipassana website:

"Vipassana, which means to see things as they really are, is an ancient technique of meditation which was taught by Gautama the Buddha more than 2500 years ago as a universal remedy for human suffering."

It's a 10-day long retreat where participants observe "noble silence" (i.e. no talking for the entire time!) and no books, music, telephones, or any other outside influences are allowed. The whole idea behind these restrictions is to focus without distraction. Participants are supposed to feel as though they are on an independent journey. I have dabbled in meditation before but haven't put a concerted effort into it. I am really looking forward to this experience.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am excited for this journey for you leah...

i miss you.
let's have a day/nite again soon.

3/31/2005 7:07 p.m.  
Blogger Leah said...

Awwwwww, I miss you too. I'll definitely get in touch this weekend. I promise!

4/01/2005 12:43 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home