Monday, April 23, 2007

The Sun Poured Down like Honey

Last week I was away on a course for the week in a small town southwest of Toronto. I came home for the weekend and am now back for the second half of the course. I always miss home when I'm away but it gives me a lot of thinking time and it makes me appreciate all the good things that I now associate with "home".

The weekend was warm and filled with sunshine. It felt like the first real days of spring and I tried to spend as much time as possible outside. I walked my bike down to the local bike shop and got some minor repairs done and filled the tires with air. Then, I went for a short bike ride and remembered how much I like biking. I rode while Eli skated beside me and we explored some streets in our neighborhood that we'd never been down before. It was wonderful seeing all the people on the street with smiles on their faces. It felt like people were emerging from their winter cocoons and were feeling the same elation that we were.

This will be my first spring/summer in Ontario and I have a really good feeling about it. It already feels like a friendlier, more vibrant city than the one that greeted us when we arrived in the winter. Our normally quiet neighbourhood was bustling with energy and I've been told that it only increases as the weather gets nicer. It's hard to not be affected by the palpable anticipation and excitement that floats through the air.

On Friday night I was really excited to see Soulwax performing at the Opera House. We got there early and were looking forward to a night of dancing and fun. I didn't really like the music playing when we got there but I was sure that it would get better as the night went on...it didn't. By 1:30am, Soulwax had still not hit the stage even though all of their instruments were set up and looked ready to go. We sensed that something was amiss. A few moments later, a tall, thin girl started gyrating on the stage, very much like a stripper, and was working hard to rev up the crowd. She then walked to the microphone and announced that there was an emergency and unfortunately Soulwax wouldn't be able to perform but that we should all have fun anyways. We waited another ten minutes and then decided to call it a night. How disappointing! $20 to hear mediocre DJs playing less than mediocre music. I don't know exactly what happened or why Soulwax wasn't able to perform but I HATE when headliners cancel at the last minute like that with no real explanation or apology.

Despite that small setback, the weekend was lovely and I was really glad to have been able to come home from my course. It's grey and rainy out here today so I don't feel so bad being holed up in the middle of nowhere.

I hope the sun is shining wherever in the world you happen to be...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home