Tuesday, April 24, 2007

The Orphan Ache

Your shoulders do not brush my shoulders,
Not even on a streetcar by accident.
And now I cannot recall whether your brown eyes
Were chocolate or spiced copper or sable.
Year after year more details vanish.

Seventeen years later
I am reminded of you regularly
But I do not remember.
Oh, the perplexing irony
and the resulting shades of the truth.

Yesterday a sweet perfume
Was swept by the wind into my nostrils.
Instinctively, I looked around for you,
And instead saw a grandmother step into a cab.
It still stings every single time.

Will it take a lifetime
To heal all of my wounds?
The scars are precious --
A tangible proof that you really did exist
In flesh and not just in a child's mind's eye.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

leah,
i am thinking of you today sweet friend. i understand the ache, moreso on these 'anniversaries'.
*hugs*
love, kim

4/24/2007 12:41 p.m.  
Blogger Keet said...

i haven't read your blog in a long time babe.
This was a really powerful poem.
You are an amazing person, both for those things you do now, and the things you have done. Your strength is inspiring.

5/08/2007 3:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home